Monday, October 6, 2008

I'd rather wear the skin I'm in

This is by far my favourite topic! CULTURE JAMMING! I had a pretty awesome economics teacher in high school who was 100% anti-consumerism. He owned a pair of black spot shoes that were made from completely recycled goods you can purchase from the Ad Busters (a non-profit, anti-consumerism organization). The whole idea of looking outside the box and poking fun at popular culture I find very entertaining. The familiar “I-raq” ads mimicking the previously talked about Ipod ads, give you as the reader a familiar image, but with a serious message behind it. The image I chose to analyze though is the “The True Colors of Benetton” poster. The company this ad is poking fun at if not already figured out is the popular European “United Colors of Benetton” fashion store. I visited the store on my last Euro-trip and found myself in an unusually large American Apparel, only to find the prices to be in triple digits for a simple t-shirt. Seeing this poster made me do a *fist pump* as I laughed. I knew exactly what it was trying to portray. Benetton is known to provide the consumer with vibrant coloured fashionable clothes that can only be purchased at their store. The poster is portraying that in reality, the only colors of Benetton is the green in the money you spend. The poster is telling you to look outside the box and realize that you are paying for a label, not quality. I walked out of Benetton that day with just a catalogue and after seeing this poster… I couldn’t be more pleased with my decision.

No comments: