Monday, October 6, 2008

Blah blah blog

OOOOOOKaaaaaaaay! So after struggling to extract the Word Press zip file, BLOGSPOT it is! My computer has been acting quite strange lately so I’m not too surprised I couldn’t do something as easy as extract a file but Blogger.com was way too easy to use. I provided an email address, made up a strong password, chose a display name I thought suited me best and VOILA! Stefan Kovacevic created his very first blog. I was very impressed with the different types of templates I was able to choose from, everything was really organized and easy to access. It’s going to take awhile for me to get used to actual “blogging” though, considering I’m writing this draft in Microsoft Word, but as Dr. Lipton said; “Asking students to participate in digital culture allows them to make a place for themselves on the global map”, and that’s exactly what I’ll pursue to do. I picked up some key points about participatory journalism as well. Realizing how easy it was to make a blog, it shows me that absolutely anyone with access to the internet can make their own blog. Creating a blog gives everyone a chance to speak their mind about absolutely anything they dream of. As I just wrote that last sentence, I got a flashback to a news report from about a year ago about the shooting at Virginia Tech, where the gunmen Seung-Hui Cho posted pictures of himself holding several firearms on his blog on the day of the shooting. Its situations like these that make me think twice about the use of participatory journalism, but those situations are rare. My ideal view of participatory journalism is everyday lower income minorities posting their own thoughts on current events or anything that they feel like. Although these posts may lack quality and content, one must consider that everyone has their own view on certain things. Anyways, I’m slowly passing the 250 word limit so peeeeaaace ouuuuut!

No comments: