Monday, November 24, 2008

Media is the new BLACK


Alright, so last night I looked at the next batch of blogs that I need to complete for Dr. Lipton and the media log question jumped out at me. I thought this was a very interesting idea and couldn’t wait to jump on it (realistically I had no choice). So this morning I woke up, grabbed my IPod and went to brush my teeth. I quickly realized that my day had barely started and already I was involved in some sort of media, my music mp3 player. I put some bagels in the toaster and grabbed my GQ magazine. I laughed as I realized how quickly I was getting exposed to so many ads without really ever thinking about it. I connected to the internet and my homepage; Kanye West’s blog came up. I tallied my count to four. I got dressed and headed to class. I kept an eye out for ads and posters around campus as I made my way to class. I stopped counting after 23. After class I went to the cafeteria. As I ate my food, I enjoyed the soothing sounds of CHYM FM, yet another form of Media. I went back to my room, and watched Amazing Race off of http://www.surfthechannel.com/. Shortly after I fell asleep, and when I woke up, I was back on my laptop surfing the net, getting attacked by internet advertising and live broadcasting from every direction. The day continued much the same way I’ve already explained, more classes, more billboards and posters, more soothing music and more internet surfing. In the end, the three most dominant media forces that affect me on a daily basis are magazines, radio, and internet. I participate in media economies by surfing the net over 50% of my day, as well as having to listen to audio and video recordings of some of my lectures online. Media has seen a large advancement over the past thirty years. An interesting fact I found put up by the 2007 U.S. Census Bureau's Statistical Abstract of the United States, is that Adults and teens will spend nearly five months (3,518 hours) next year watching television, surfing the Internet, reading daily newspapers and listening to personal music devices. Funny, but that pretty much summed up my daily media log.

No comments: