Tuesday, November 25, 2008

To consume, or not to consume? That is the problem.


Buy Nothing Day brings me back to my favorite teacher from high school once again. Yeah, the one I mentioned earlier who was the definition of a hippie, a 100% anti-consumerism activist. Surprisingly enough, in grade 12 economics I had this exact same question asked to me. I’m not going to do any research, or bore you with the basic facts of what Buy Nothing Day is, because you already know everything and most likely know it better than I do. I’ll give you my insight on things. Everyone (and by everyone I refer to society), talks about how my generation, (the late eighties-early nineties) is leaning towards a more green future, and who can blame us, we’re constantly reminded to follow the 5 R’s and to consume less. This year was my first eligible year to vote, and I voted Green, because I hate the excuse that even if we vote green it’s too late, because excuse my language but that’s bullshit. If we don’t try, it won’t happen yes, so why not try then? Buy Nothing Day is not just about refusing to consume for one day to prove a point, but to realize that there are alternatives to things we do everyday that can help our environment. Consuming less leads to producing less waste for example. Now if I’m not mistaken, this year’s date is the 28th, not the 25th so DON’T CONSUME ON FRIDAY AND REALIZE THE SMALL THINGS YOU CAN DO TO MAKE A MUCH LARGER CHANGE!

No comments: